Friday, December 16, 2016

R A T T L E S

...Finally got around to adorning two rattles I previously made,
both pillow rattles made using this process - 

"Once the basic shape is formed, I tenderly blow my own CHI (breath of life) inside, sealing the opening quickly closed with pursed lips."


This 710 dark chocolate stoneware one I've named
BROKEN RIMS of the BEER BOTTLE ABYSS
because of the tumbled interrupted glass rings which adorn it.


In actuality, they are the cut off rims of beer bottle openings
(tumbled & sent to me by Emily Cohen from Florida)
which I then wrapped with copper wire to hang.


The dried Virginia creeper vine handle also hails from Florida
and is accented with one of my clay Gillette leaves...


Just so you know, the 'other side' pictured here is as worthy 
as the side pictured in the initial picture above.


This earthenware rattle was made from a clay slab 
accented with Pilcher's slip and a transfer printed woodcut
I call HOMER and this too, is the name of the rattle.


The opposite side is a combed engobe plaid on one half with
a carved black terra sigillata on the other half.


The adornments on HOMER range from a broken twig 
which was once part of his handle, hand formed palm pebble,
blob & love knots beads and black & buff porcelain beads
all inter-spaced with colorful seed beads. 

No comments: